(My random) 34 Lessons in Life (Before I turn 34)
I am not a sage, sitting at the top of mountain meditating and reflecting every single action and learning point from my successes as well as failures. I am a (slightly) ordinary guy who tries to make his living and contributing his thoughts in between his office meetings.
Before I turn 34, I’d just like to take 10 minutes to ponder and pour my thoughts as a form of my appreciation to life.
Here you go.. My list of life lessons that I have learned during my 34 years of life:
- Action does speak louder than words. (Sounds cliche? But it’s so true.)
- If you must speak, speak your mind but more importantly speak your heart .
- Make sure your loved ones know that they are loved with all your heart
- Only YOU know what you want, what you’re passionate about.. Career advice is – as you know – an advice..
- Create the trail, create the path.. If there’s no book on that or if there is no prior practice to that? Create it!
- You can race to the top very early.. But don’t be surprised that you will not find what you are looking for…
- We are created equal. Don’t let ‘titles’ blind you or cloud your judgement.
- There are inflection points or turning points in life. You can create that turning points. Life is not served to you on a silver platter.
- Principles are principles. It takes ‘balls’ to uphold them sometimes.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) is overrated. Have fun while learning.
- It’s OK to make mistakes.. Beating yourself up over past mistakes will not change the present let alone the future..
- If the future (long-term) is vague, then go for the short term… Somehow you will connect the dots later..
- Energy and enthusiasm trump (weak) logic hands down.
- Question, question, question. Never take things as they are.
- See the world.
- Read more books.
- Talk to more people.
- Find good mentors. We are all ‘Luke Skywalker’ who need our Master Obi Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda.
- There will be time when we are the ‘Master Kenobi’.. Be kind to your young apprentice.
- Life is a complex game. Moving on does not always serve as a ‘reset’ button.
- Greet the morning sun cheerfully everyday. Be grateful that you have one more day to love your loved ones. To contribute to other people.
- Nothing is thicker than blood. Family comes first.
- Friends are priceless treasures (They can be as valuable as ‘blood’).
- You get the best of both world when you marry your best friend.
- Looking at my better half and cute son sound asleep is ‘heaven on earth’.
- Challenge assumptions. Challenge authority. Change is hard. Change is difficult. ..but when you arrive at your ‘destination’ you will be glad that you did what you were afraid to do.
- Try something different. You might surprise yourself.
- You were not born as either engineer, scientist, banker, philosopher, writer, speaker.. You can be banker/philosopher/writer/speaker/runner/father/brother/husband/leader/… You can define yourself or you can choose to be undefined.
- For every argument there is counter argument.. Don’t be afraid to be firm and choose side.
- Everybody seems to love novel ‘contrarian’ idea. Don’t fall to the ‘herd instinct’.
- Good life = simple life.
- Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re too young for something or to do something..
- Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re too old for something or to do something either..
- Be happy. It’s another day in paradise.
Thank you my family and friends!